SAVANNAH GROVE BAPTIST CHURCH, located in Effingham, a township of Florence was founded in 1866 while this area was a part of Darlington County. Like many of her sister churches, she emerged as an institution on the heel of the “War Between the States”, and the Emancipation Proclamation. In the one hundred and forty years of her existence, she has had a profound impact upon human society. Pastors and members of the congregation have served in key roles of leadership in nearly every spectrum of life (college presidents, state and national convention presidents, district church officials, state senators and representatives, magistrates, city and county councilmen, school board members, etc.)
The campus has grown from one-acre parcel to an approximate forty-six acre tract. Included on the campus is the Sanctuary and Auxiliary Wing constructed in 1999; the educational complex constructed in 1985; Roots of Savannah, the former sanctuary which was constructed in 1939; the parsonage, constructed in 1969; a rental unit purchased in 2003; a fishing pond and a community park.
Savannah Grove is a member of the Florence and Affiliated Counties Baptist Union, the Pee Dee Baptist Association of Churches, the South Carolina Educational and Missionary Convention and the Progressive National Baptist Convention, INC.
Known for her spirit of missions and generosity, the church is a major contributor to Morris College, Sumter; Benedict College, Columbia; Morehouse School of Religion (ITC), the United Negro College Fund, and Home and Foreign Mission endeavors through Africare, PNBC Global Missions, Church World Service, other conventions and noteworthy organizations.
We are highly recognized for our emphasis on edifying the Body of Christ through educational ministries, multi-staff development and creative ministries.